Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Holy Grail

I've found it.  Finally.  (And no I'm not using this quest as an excuse for not posting in, like, forever.  I'm just.....overwhelmed.  Sorry).

So I've gone on quite a bit about my travel schedule, and yes you're probably all sick of hearing about the trials and tribulations that air travel plus lack of space in suitcase plus changing weather plus differing mineral content in water blah blah blah can wreak upon my already difficult hair.  When you didn't care about my hair in the first place, you care about YOUR hair.  We all have the same issues with travel, though you straight-haired ladies probably don't come out looking like a roadie from Motley Crue like I do if you're not cautious.

I'm always trying to un-weight my suitcase, which comprises 90% beauty products at any second.  Carrying shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, de-frizzer, straightener, and curl cream is at direct odds with that goal.  My dream is ONE BOTTLE that controls frizz, defines curls, and maintains straight while not drying or crunching.  Until last month, I've thought of that as an absurdist fantasy.  But then I got around to trying Living Proof's Perfect Hair Day.

main productThe claims this stuff makes are amazing.  I'd tell you how it works, but they're hiding their secrets with mystery acronyms.  Can't fault them for that, everyone in my industry counts on that trick to charge big fees, its a time honored tradition.  I can say that its resin (volumizing), silicone (smoothing and anti-frizzing) and oil (de-frizzing and conditioning) free, yet they say you'll achieve all of the desired effects at once.  (Cue photo of Jennifer Aniston with typically fab hair).

For me, the real test is whether or not I can actually straighten my bangs, which are the first part of my hair to curl, being the shortest, and keep them straight, while keeping my curls in some semblance of order when they air-dry.  The first time I tried it, I ignored the admonition to skip leave in conditioner, feeling as I do that this would be akin to leaving home without a bra, and to use a small amount, accustomed as I am to interpreting 'small' as 'size of a quarter'.  The first worked out well, since my hair is dry and brittle.  The second?  When they say small, they mean it.  I wound up with product-y looking bangs.  Not good.  On day two, I used half the amount, and found that my bangs dried to a perfect, smooth bounce in less than half the time it normally takes, and STAYED that way through a typically foggy San Francisco day.  Even more miraculously, the rest of my head looked nearly as good as it does when I use my top curl cream.  OK, not saying much, but its a product not a wig.

Downside?  Largest bottle is small, and costs a medium-sized fortune.  Bizarrely, my four product daily routine winds up being more cost effective than cutting down to a one-product regimen.  That being said, for sheer convenience and suitcase lightening, beyond worth it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment