Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Golf: the Ultimate Sun Challenge

Much to my dermatologist's dismay, I play golf. I also surf and go to the beach, but when I surf, I wear a wetsuit. When I go to the beach, I hide under an umbrella. When I play golf, I bake in the sun for 18 long holes. (Long because my golf game is terrible, I should probably work on that.....) Golf courses are frequently hot, thus I sweat, making sun protection even more of a challenge. So I modify my sun protection routine to acknowledge what I'm up against. I start with a layer of chemical sunscreen. By "layer", we're talking about a full ounce for the whole body. That's a shot glass full of sunscreen. I personally like the Anthelios line, as it is the only line cleared in the U.S. with Meroxyl, one of the broad-spectrum sunscreens available in Europe, but not in the U.S. unless your dermatologist moonlights as a smuggler. Plus, unlike the chemical sunscreens commonly available in the U.S., it isn't a known hormone disruptor or suspected carcinogen.  (*Heads up:  if you're buying Anthelios in the U.S., read the label carefully.  Only a few products in the line have Meroxyl.  The rest have....Oxybenzone.  Anthelios makes separate lines for the U.S. and the rest of the world;  the line for the rest of the world does not contain Oxybenzone and has a far higher SPF than the Meroxyl formulations available in the U.S.  Irony of ironies that the safer, better sunscreen is barely available in the U.S., but the known endocrine disrupter and weaker protectant is in virtually everything.)  For more information on sunscreen ingredients, check out the comprehensive www.ewg.org.  Use a CREAM not a spray, unless you're reapplying. It is almost impossible to get thorough coverage that's effective to the advertised SPF using a spray alone, thanks to the tendency of aerosols to distribute the product in every direction, not just to your skin, not to mention up your nose and into your lungs.  YUCK. Neutrogena and Coppertone make great sport sunscreens as well, both of which are far more economical than Anthelios, BUT they do contain Oxybenzone, which expose users to the aforementioned health concerns.  Read your labels, and look for Meroxyl, Avobenzone, Titanium Dioxide, or Zinc Oxide.

After I let the chemical sunscreen soak in for 20 minutes (chemical sunscreens must absorb for 20 minutes to achieve full effectiveness) I add a layer of sweat-resistant physical sunscreen. Check out Blue Lizard Australian Sport or Solar Sense Clear Zinc; both water and sweat resistant, plus go on clear so that you won't look too much like an actor in a Kabuki play. Then REAPPLY every two hours. I do use a non-aerosol spray (more on these later) to re-apply, but I make sure that I'm re-applying a significant amount each time. Don't forget a full-brimmed hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment